The March 1 inventory of hogs and pigs on Kansas farms totaled 1.81 million head, down 1 percent from March 1, 2009, but unchanged from December 1, 2009.

Hogs and pigs kept for breeding purposes totaled 180,000 head, up 9 percent from 2009 but unchanged from December 1, 2009. Breeding stock accounted for 10 percent of all hogs and pigs. Market hogs accounted for the remaining 90 percent of the total inventory, at 1.63 million head.

Market hog inventory was 2 percent below a year ago but unchanged from December 1, 2009. Market hogs weighing less than 50 pounds totaled 490,000 head, down 6 percent from a year ago. The 50-119 pound weight group, at 325,000 head, was up 2 percent from a year ago. The 120-179 pound weight group totaled 280,000 head, down 3 percent from a year ago. The 180 pound and over weight group, at 535,000 head, was up 2 percent from a year ago.

December-February Pig Crop

Farrowings during December-February, at 83,000 sows, were up 2 percent from the previous year, with a litter rate of 9.35 pigs. The total pig crop was 776,000 head.

Farrowing Intentions

Kansas hog producers intend to farrow 87,000 sows in the March-May quarter, up 7 percent from the preceding year.

For the June-August quarter, expected farrowings are estimated at 86,000 sows, up 8 percent from last year.