The Kansas Historical Society announced the newest National Register of Historic Places listings. These listings had been recommended by the Kansas Historic Sites Board of Review and were made official with the National Park Service’s approval April 15. The listings include a private residence in Wichita, an early 20th century grade school in Burlingame, and a former fraternal lodge in Inman.

The National Register of Historic Places is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

Eligible properties must be significant for one or more of the four criteria for evaluation. Properties can be eligible if they are associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history. They can be eligible if they are associated with the lives of persons significant in our past. Distinctive construction can qualify properties for the National Register if they embody the characteristic of a type, period, or method of construction, or represent the work of a master, or possess high artistic values, or represent a significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinction. Lastly, properties may be eligible for the National Register if they have yielded or may be likely to yield information important in prehistory or history. The National Register recognizes properties of local, statewide, and national significance.

Below are summaries of the listings:

Wilson-Boyle House – 225 N Roosevelt, Wichita, Sedgwick County
Joseph Wilson commissioned Frank F. Parsons to design and build this residence in Wichita’s College Hill neighborhood. The Wilson family owned the house until 1945, when they sold it to William C. and Marie Boyle. The house features a blend of architectural styles including Neoclassical and Colonial Revival, which were popular in the United States from approximately 1890 through 1955. The residence is two-and-a-half stories and features a tan brick exterior with corners accented by raised blond brick quoining. The roof is hipped with gabled dormers on the front and rear elevations. Window and door lintels are cast stone with Greek key and gutta ornamentation. The house was nominated as part of the “Residential Resources of Wichita” multiple property submission for its local significance in the area of architecture.

Schuyler Grade School – 117 S Dacotah, Burlingame, Osage County
Schuyler Grade School was constructed on the site of the former Osage County Courthouse and named in honor of one of Burlingame’s founders and most important community leaders – Philip
Church Schuyler. He donated the lots upon which the first courthouse was erected. After the county seat was moved to Lyndon, the school district purchased the property to construct a school at that location. The two-story Romanesque-style brick building was built by J. F. Mehl in 1902, and the first classes were held in January 1903. The school was expanded with a rear addition in 1955. Two detached buildings were added in the 1970s. The building functioned as a school until 2001 when the Burlingame Historical Preservation Society organized and acquired the building. It was nominated as part of the “Historic Public Schools of Kansas” multiple property submission for its local significance in the areas of education and architecture.

Inman I.O.O.F. Hall – 100 N Main, Inman, McPherson County
Built in 1893, the I.O.O.F. Hall is the only two-story building in downtown Inman. It was constructed by McPherson builder J. D. McKinzie in the popular late Victorian-era Italianate style. As was typical of late nineteenth century downtown buildings, the first floor served as commercial space while the second floor was reserved for meeting space and social functions. Today, the Inman Public Library operates out of the first floor, while the second floor is unused. The building features a storefront on the west elevation and a smaller secondary storefront on the south-facing elevation. A decorative cornice sits atop the west and south walls. The building was nominated for its local significance in the areas of social history and architecture.