* 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 3 to 5 tablespoons minced fresh basil
* 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
* 6 cups torn romaine
* 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes
* In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set bacon and drippings aside.
* In another large skillet, melt butter. Add bread cubes; cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove to paper towels; cool.
* For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, basil, vinegar, pepper, garlic and reserved drippings. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Top with croutons. Yield: 8 servings.