Vegetarian recipe: Corn Bread-Topped Frijoles
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 medium green pepper, chopped
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* CORN BREAD TOPPING:
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
* 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
* 3 tablespoons canola oil
* In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
* Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, pepper and pepper sauce. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
* In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, corn and oil; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
* Cover and cook on high 2 hours longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center of corn bread comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.