Rock salt contains chemicals that are harmful to pets and children.
Rock salt burns the pads on the animal’s feet, then the animal licks its paws resulting in burns to its mouth and throat. This ingestion can result in damage to the kidneys and pancreas. Large dogs are at a greater rick when rock salt is ingested because they tend to drink excessive amounts of water, which leads to a condition called bloat that requires immediate emergency attention.
There are several pet-friendly ice melting products, which can be found on-line, at a veterinarian’s office or a pet supply store.
— McPherson County Humane Society