The McPherson USD 418 Board of Education donated easements to the city of McPherson Monday to allow the construction of turning lanes at McPherson High School.
A right-turning lane will be added on First Street going onto North High Drive. Construction will begin in May and be complete before the 2013-2014 school year.
A concrete triangle-shaped island will be placed on the curve between the right-turning lane from First Street and the two straight lanes on First Street and North High Drive.
A left-turn lane also will be added to aid traffic going from North High Drive to First Street.
In order to complete these changes, some of the land on the south side of the high school’s property will be altered. This includes a new six-foot wide sidewalk.
In addition, one entrance to the southeast parking lot will be changed. The concrete island will be removed, and room will be made for three lanes. One lane will be an entrance, and the other two will be exit turning lanes — one right and one left.
In other business:
• The board approved a bid of $195,800 from Wiens and Company for HVAC upgrades to McPherson Middle School.
• The board accepted a $25 gift from Sunbird Dental of McPherson, who donated a bag of smile power containers for when students loose a tooth at Eisenhower Elementary.
• The board accepted a donation of $260 from Keystone Steel and Wire for FFA programs.
• The board approved out-of-state travel for student groups. The debate and forensics teams will attend nationals this summer in Pennsylvania and Georgia. The Health Occupation Students of America will attend a national conference this summer in Tennessee.
• The board approved a request from Director of Instruction Angie McDonald for changes to existing curriculum in the McPherson High School drama department.
Contact Jenae Pauls at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow her on Twitter @PaulsSentinel