McPhersonSentinel - McPherson, KS
  • Knife found at party introduced into evidence

  • A knife found at the scene of a party where a former Tabor College student was found beaten was introduced into evidence Thursday in McPherson County District Court.
    • email print
  • A knife found at the scene of a party where a former Tabor College student was found beaten was introduced into evidence Thursday in McPherson County District Court.
    Alton Franklin of Dallas, a former McPherson College football player, is being tried for aiding and abetting second degree murder in the death of Tabor College student Brandon Brown, 26, California.
    The students were allegedly at an off-campus party in McPherson during the early morning hours of Sept. 16 when Brown was beaten. Brown died at a Wichita hospital six days later as a result of complications from his injuries.
    Sgt. Jason Johnston of the McPherson Police Department testified officers collected a knife from the scene the night Brown was injured. Police also noticed what appeared to be stab marks in a door to the house where the party took place. The door also was admitted into evidence.
    Kansas Bureau of Investigation testing indicated the knife matched the marks on the door.
    The defense in the case allege two Tabor College students, including Brown, were asked to leave the party and ultimately had to be forcibly removed. At the time they were being pushed out of the door, former defendant in the case, DeQuinte Flournoy, testified earlier in the trial, he thought he saw a knife in Brown's hand.
    After the Tabor students’ removal, witnesses testified the people inside the party heard banging at the door.
    Officer Johnston testified the knife was not found on Brown's person, but some distance away from where Brown was found lying when police arrived.
    Also Thursday taking the stand were first responders, the pathologist that did Brown's autopsy and members of the medical field to testify about Brown’s medical care.
    Dr. Timothy Gorrill, pathologist with the Sedgwick County Regional Forensics Science Center, said he determined Brown suffered from a fractured left cheek and a blow to the right side of the head as a result of blunt force trauma. He ruled the case a homicide. He also determined Brown had suffered from acute alcohol intoxication. Brown’s blood alcohol level was .3 at the time he was admitted to the hospital, almost four times the legal limit to drive.
    Medical professionals also testified Brown suffered from negative pressure pulmonary edema. This is a condition that is caused when a person tries to breathe when his or her airway is obstructed. It results in pressure being reversed in the lungs and fluid building up in the alveoli, the tiny sacks in the lungs where oxygen and carbon dioxide are exchanged in the blood.
    As a result of this condition, Brown had very low oxygen levels in his blood. Dr. Todd Murphy testified Brown’s was one of the most severe cases of this condition he had ever seen.
    Page 2 of 2 - In order to treat the condition, Brown's ventilator pressure had to be turned to high levels. This resulted in further damage to Brown's body. Brown eventually died six days after he was admitted to the hospital.
    During cross examination, Murphy and Gorrill were both asked if they found any bruising or other broken bones on Brown beside his cheek. They testified they did not.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar