* 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
* 2 to 3 garlic cloves, sliced
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
* 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
* 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
* 4 cups water
* 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
* 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
* 1 pound carrots, cut into chunks
* 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
* 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1/4 cup cold water
* Cut slits in roast; insert garlic slices. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove roast; add the onion, celery and turnips to skillet. Place roast over vegetables; add water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
* Add the potatoes, carrots and beans; cover and cook for 45 minutes. Add mushrooms; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
* Skim fat from cooking juices. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 8-10 servings.