It was the kind of night you just try to put behind you and move on to the next one.

It was the kind of night you just try to put behind you and move on to the next one.

The McPherson American Legion Seniors, fresh off a tremendous 3-1 showing in last weekend’s Bob Hooper Classic, had no answer for the Wichita Aces Tuesday, falling 19-2 and 18-5 at Grant Sports Complex.

“Just not a good day for us,” Post 24 coach Craig Marshall said. “Everything they hit, they hit hard, hit holes. We just didn’t hit the ball as well as we like, didn’t pitch the ball as well as we like and didn’t play defense as well as we like. When that happens, you lose two games.”

There was some sparks of excitement for McPherson, as they picked up a groundball triple play to end the Wichita fourth inning during game one. In game two, Aaron Marshall and Brodie Burney both went yard in successive at-bats during the third inning, while Tanner DeVore just missed an opportunity to make it back-to-back-to-back home runs, as his attempt hit the fence in left field, missing by only inches.

Wichita started the bruising early in game one, as Carlos Aldaz belted a triple to right field off a 3-1 count that scored Adam Wasson in the second at-bat of the game. The Aces went on to score six runs in the first inning, then added four more in the second to make it 10-0.

Marshall struggled to find a pitcher who could reign in the Wichita hitters, as he tried Burney and Tanner DeVore in the third inning. Neither could really slow the Aces down, however, and the deficit widened to 16-before Issac Peck took over to end the inning and get McPherson back to the plate.

McPherson (7-11) managed to get a pair of runs in during the bottom of the third.

Zach Likely took the loss as the starting pitcher, going only a third of the first inning and giving up six runs, five earned, off five hits.

Burney, DeVore and Peck all had turns on the mound for McPherson.

Wichita jumped out to an 8-2 lead after the first inning and added 10 more runs between the second and third innings, leaving McPherson facing another deep hole going to bat in the third.

That was when Aaron Marshall socked his homer off a 1-0 count to center field during the first at-bat of the McPherson third. Burney then took the very next pitch over the fence in left field, making it 18-4.

The crowd was buzzing as DeVore stepped up to the plate and, repeating Burney’s performance, smacked his first pitch to left field. Unfortunately, the wind caught it just enough to knock it down and limit DeVore to a stand-up double.

Ethan Nadeau was the losing pitcher, going the first two innings and giving up 12 runs, eight earned, off 10 hits. Aaron Marshall and Ruxlow both went an inning in relief.

McPherson did suffer from a lack of experienced arms going into the twinbill, due to the three-day tournament that wrapped up on Sunday.

“We can’t pitch Ruxlow, (Aaron) Marshall and (Steven) Gonzalez every game,” Craig Marshall said. “So other guys are going to have to step up and contribute on the mound.”

McPherson is back on the road Thursday, as they will face Andover for a doubleheader starting at 6 p.m.