- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, saute carrots and pepper in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, oregano and salt until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans and 2 cups cheese until cheese is melted.
- Layer half of the potatoes and sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. In a microwave, melt the remaining butter. Stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake 50-55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1-1/3 cups equals 557 calories, 25 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 749 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 27 g protein.