- 4 large green peppers
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Discard stems. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, rice, meat crumbles, beans, pepper, pepper sauce and cardamom if desired. Spoon into peppers. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, tomatoes and green chilies, and tomato sauce. Spoon over peppers. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note: Vegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source made from soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.
Nutritional Facts 2 stuffed pepper halves equals 364 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 769 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 19 g protein.