At 3:48 p.m. Thursday, McPherson and Lindsborg Fire Departments responded to Interstate 135 southbound mile marker 67 for a report of equipment on fire.
The firefighters arrived to find that a number of hay bales had spontaneously ignited.
McPherson Fire Chief Jeff Deal said this was due to the bales being wet when wrapped.
“The bales will start to decay,” Deal said, “and that actually generates heat. In something as large a a hay bale that can result in a lot of heat. We see a lot more of these types of fires then you’d think. Every summer we go out on a few mulch pile fires that start the same way.”
The two fire departments extinguished the fire, but had to return twice more in the afternoon and evening for small hot spot fires that had developed afterward.