The McPherson City Commission approved a letter of support for a grant helping pay for public, disabled and elderly transportation.
The Council on Aging Applied through a Federal Transit Administration Program for a continued operational funding grant for qualifying transportation providers for the 2015 fiscal year.
The commission has assigned the Council on Aging to serve as the fiscal agent and has authorized it to distribute the funds to project participants.
Participants would include MAC Cab, J&N Taxi, The Cedars and other transportation contractors in the county.
The program operates through match funding, as money would come from the Federal Transit Administration, the state of Kansas, the city of McPherson and those who utilize the transportation services.
In 2013, the city provided $5,636, accounting for its 32 percent obligation.
The construction traffic management plan at Lincoln Elementary School has been altered.
The fence along Ash Street has been moved behind the sidewalk. This will allow parking on the east side of Ash Street north of Earl Street and south of the bus loading zone. The crosswalk on Earl Street on the east side of Ash Street will remain open.
In other business, the city commission:
• Authorized this year’s McPherson County Toy Run. Now in its 26th year, the event will be Nov. 30 in the Wal-Mart parking lot. There will be a parade at 1 p.m. followed by a chili feed and an auction.
• Approved the use of coarse gravel at cost of up to $11,250 to resurface some alleys and driveways. When utilities were relocated, the base material could not be used again, and the city has to use another surfacing material.
• Approved a request for up to $3,000 to hire Twin Peaks/Dennis Keegan to provide right of way acquisition services.
• Approved a Kansas Department of Transportation Functional Classification Map, which is used by KDOT for long-range planning and to determine eligibility for state and federal funding for roadway improvements.
• Approved an encroachment easement for Genesis Health Clubs.