CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP
• 1/2 cup butter
• 1 cup onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 T fresh ginger, minced
• 1 T curry powder
• 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
• 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
• 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
• 1 T port wine (optional)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional)
• Pinch each of ground cinnamon and cayenne pepper
Heat butter in a nonstick 8-quart stock pot or 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for 1 minute while constantly stirring.
Add squash, vegetable broth and apple to the stock pot. Cover and cook until the squash is soft, about 20-25 minutes. Add the port and turn the heat off.
Cool soup slightly; carefully puree soup with an immersion blender or in batches using a blender or food processor. Reheat the soup in the stock pot and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish each bowl with a dollop (or swirl) of yogurt and a pinch of cinnamon and/or cayenne pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.