"Tonight was a nice tactical game from the guys”

After losing their opening game of the season, the Central Christian College men’s soccer team has bounced back in their last two games by shutting their opponents out. Their latest came on Tuesday evening when they defeated the Randall University Saints, at home, 6-0.

The Saints, who have had some nice results early this season, were unable to find their rhythm offensively to put pressure on the Tiger defense. Meanwhile, the Tigers ran roughshod through the Saints’ defense all night, connecting three times in both halves.

The Tigers came out sharp, and in the opening minute rattled the cross bar on a shot from Jayke Maples. It would be a portend of things to come. Eleven minutes later, senior forward, Josh Taylor would get the Tigers on the board, streaking up the middle of the field and receiving a beautiful cross from Maples on the right wing. After that first goal, it didn’t t take long for Central to strike again. In the 19th minute, it was Taylor again finding a seam between the Saints’ left back and their left center back, receiving a pass from Matias Nunez, and then rifling a shot off of his left foot into the side netting on the far post.

It was pretty physical game to begin with but seemed to get a little more so after the Tigers took a 2-0 lead. With just three minutes remaining in the half, a hard foul by the Saints gave the Tigers a direct free kick from about 30 yards out. Newcomer, Lucas Braga stepped up and bent a ball over the top of the Saints’ wall just out of reach of the Saints’ net minder to give his team a 3-0 lead heading into the break.

The second half was more of the same offensive dominance by the Tigers. Taylor recorded his second hat trick of the season, scoring his third goal of the game just two minutes into the second half. After rattling the cross bar in the first half and dishing out an assist on two of Taylor’s three goals, Maples finally got another chance on a free kick and made the most of his opportunity, beating the goal keeper to his left and giving the Tigers a 5-0 lead. The sixth and final Tiger goal came in the 67th minute, with most of the Tiger starters on the bench. This time it was Nunez who found the back of the net off of a double assist from Reece Stewart and Omar Salgado.

"Tonight was a nice tactical game from the guys”, said Central head coach Aaron Hoxie. “Sure there were moments where we struggled and they had their way,” continued Hoxie, “but, we were in complete control from the opening whistle.” He added, “our attacking unit really forced their better players to get behind the ball and that caused them major problems. They struggled to break down our lines because they were continuously starting from their own defensive third. Their team is a lot better than the score line shows.    But they had no answer for our collective athleticism and speed. Ultimately, that was the difference. Once the damage was done, we were able to effectively kill the game off by knocking it around, and generally taking the steam out of the game."

Now at 2-1 on the season, the Tigers will get a bigger challenge this weekend when they head out on the road to play Dakota Wesleyan and Mount Marty College.