The McPherson City Commission approved interior modifications to the city municipal building to meet the needs of incoming tenant McPherson Child Services at its meeting on Monday.

The McPherson City Commission approved interior modifications to the city municipal building to meet the needs of incoming tenant McPherson Child Services at its meeting on Monday.
Up to $5,435.57 in expenses was approved for changes to the building’s heating and cooling systems to provide adequate climate control to those areas to be used by McPherson Child Services.
The changes will provide proper air circulation to a glass-walled office that does not receive adequate ventilation. Additionally, a room that was used to house computer servers by a prior tenant, will be connected to the building’s HVAC system as its existing, dedicated air conditioner is no longer operable.
Expenses related to the project will be limited by the proximity of an existing air conditioning unit.
“This simply allows heating and cooling to move into areas where there is not adequate heating and cooling,” said Tom Stinemetze, speaking not for his department but in the interests of the municipal building itself.
McPherson Child Services plans to be moved into and operating from the space by the middle of October.
• Dawn Loving of McPherson Family YMCA and Dani Crist of Hess Fitness Center informed the commission of their organizations’ lans for the 2011 Commit to Get Fit community wellness challenge. The program, which will take place Oct. 3  through Nov. 11, will feature wellness lectures, community walks,  yoga classes and other activities for participants. While the program was offered free in years past, a $10 registration fee will be charged to cover program expenses and T-shirts for participants, with scholarships available to those in need of assistance.
“This is a good event for the community,” said City Administrator Nick Gregory in communicating the comments of Mayor Tom Brown, who was away on travel. “This will promote healthy living, and we hope to get everyone we can to come out and participate in Commit to Get Fit this year.”
• McPherson Board of Public Utilities General Manager Tim Maier notified the commission  utility employees will be replacing aging power lines in the Liberty Drive area and along part of Ranch Road. Maier reported that residents may experience short-lived power outages of 5 to 10 seconds while repairs are made and that door hangers would be delivered alerting affected residents to the outages.
• Maier also informed the commission BPU had, through the assistance of its financial consultants, arranged the sale of new bonds as a part of a $7 million refinance of 2004 bonds. To proceed with the refinance, the commission voted to approve several measures. Commissioner Michael Alkire and acting Mayor Robert Moore authorized the issuance of bonds related to the refinance and also authorized their sale. They additionally authorized Mayor Brown to sign relevant closing documents for the bonds once he returns from his travels.
• The hiring of a new employee to the McPherson Streets Department was approved, effective Oct. 10.
• The commission approved the payment of $2,366 to Travelers Insurance for deductible costs tied to a currently open claim from the City of McPherson.
• The commission also approved a payment of $1,122.81 to Terryberry for the cost of service awards.
• In his administrative report, Nick Gregory was given approval to sign the city’s annual agreement with Sunflower Insurance Group, Inc. Additional approval was given to pay 65 percent of the consulting fees associated with the renewal of the city’s policy, totaling $16,250. The remaining 35 percent of fees are to be paid by BPU.
• The 2012 holiday schedule for City of McPherson employees was approved by the commission. By the schedule, Veterans Day will be observed on Nov. 23 for the year of 2012, providing a four-day weekend due to Thanksgiving Day celebrated the day before.
• Temporary funds were allocated to pay for the rental of golf carts from Kansas Golf and Turf for the McPherson Concrete Tournament, which was on Sept. 9. The $1,036 approved will be billed to McPherson Concrete to be repaid to the city.
• In ending his administrative report, Gregory also received approval for one wage increase of $1.54/hour and eight bonds totaling $40,000.