Vikings fall apart in fourth quarter in loss to Hutchinson Trinity

Peter Holland Jr.

Sports Editor

LINDSBORG—The Smoky Valley High School boys basketball team couldn't hang on a lead much longer. After fourth quarter break down, Hutchinson Trinity High School escaped with a 50-46 victory over the Vikings in make-up game.

The Vikings were off to a fast start going up against a long and lengthy Hutchinson Trinity team. The Vikings were challenged against the Celtics' big man Joshua Bridgewater and his 6-foot-9 height. He made his presence known defensively when he put up seven blocks on Smoky Valley.

"The biggest thing for us was the intimidation from inside," Schneider said. "I thought Bridgewater really established early with the blocks, and I was okay with that because I thought the more often we could get him to block shots, then we would be able to take advantage of some things. He was very athletic and made it difficult for us."

The Vikings still had the edge as they still attack the basket, leading 23-15 with 4:26 left in the second quarter. The Celtics caught up to the Vikings, trailing 23-20. After the layup from Evan Remar, the Celtics were only down 23-22 at halftime.

The Celtics captured their first lead with less than 30 seconds in the third quarter. That was until Cole Brumbaugh nailed a three-pointer to regain the lead.Both teams went back-and-forth, exchanging baskets in the last three minutes in the quarter. Hammeke, who led the Celtics with 14 points gave the Celtics a 3-point lead after making his layup. With 2:12 left, Conrad Peterson nailed a three-pointer to regain the lead, 33-31, with two minutes left in the third. Alex Hammersmith tied the game for Trinity, 33-33, with 1:28 left.

Things went downhill for the Vikings, while the Celtics were on a 13-0 run and scored their first double-digit lead, 42-33, with 5:38 left in the fourth quarter. The Vikings got back in sync making back-to-back buckets. Cade Schneider nailed a corner-three to put the Vikings on a 6-0 run and only trailing 44-40 with three minutes left in the fourth. Down 50-43, Blake Heble shot a 3-pointer to only be down 50-46, but with only 8.8 seconds left. Time ran out for the Vikings as the Celtics escaped with the win.

"We had a nice lead in the first half, and I was pleased with that," Schneider said. "This is a team that plays a ton of zone, and we made them had to leave their zone, and I was really pleased with that. Unfortunately, their man pressure was may more than I think we were ready to handle, especially Lane (Schrag) out of the game."

Heble led the Vikings with 13 points. The Vikings dropped to 6-7 of the year, and with little time to rest, they will take on Hillsboro High School on the road on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.

Contact Peter Holland Jr. by email at pholland@mcphersonsentinel.comorfollow him on Twitter @Petes_Picks_