MANHATTAN—The Central Christian College men's soccer team moved to 2-0 on the year with  a 5-One victory on Saturday, over Manhattan Christian College, on the road.

The Tigers came out flat to start the game, and nearly found themselves down a goal within the first few minutes of the game. The MCC Thunder came out gunning for the Tigers and they created a couple of harrowing opportunities, that got the home crowd excited, and put a scare into the Tiger faithful that made the trip to Manhattan.

Fortunately, the Tigers weathered the early storm from the Thunder, and then in the fifth minute, Andres Silva put the Tigers on the board on an assist from Leslie Feh. Twelve minutes later it was Silva again, this time creating all by himself. He dribbled nearly 60 yards, beating several Thunder players, and then finally the goalkeeper to put the Tigers up 2-0. The Tigers had several more opportunities in the half, but were unable to capitalize, and the half ended with the Tigers still up 2-0.

In the second half, the Tigers continued to dominate the possession of the ball, which translated into more scoring chances. Just 4 minutes into the half, Omar Salgado, who scored a pair of goal in the Tigers' opening win on Thursday, extended his scoring streak to two games to put the Tigers up 3-0. The scoring opportunity materialized when Feh fired a shot from the left side. The MCC goalkeeper made the initial save, but Salgado was waiting to hammer the rebound home. Ten minutes later, Salgado got his second goal of the game, this time on an assist from Silva, and the rout was on.

In the 72-minute mark, the Tigers got their fifth and final goal of the afternoon. The Tigers had a goal kick, and freshman goalkeeper, Sebastian Herrera, with the wind at his back, launched a ball down field. The ball landed somewhere around half field, and skidded on the turf untouched onto the foot of fellow freshman, Andy Quintanilla. The freshman midfielder then outran the MCC defense and fired a shot off his right foot, across the goal mouth and into the side netting on the left side of the goal.

The Tiger defense had a clean sheet heading into the final 10 minutes of action. A miscue by the Tigers' back line, led to a turnover inside the 18 yard box. Russell Wilson, a midfield captain for the Thunder, jumped all over it and buried the ball in the back of the net.

Antonio Ramirez Villa got the start in goal for the Tigers, and picked up his second win of the season. He played the first 45 minutes, and faced zero shots on goal by the Thunder. Herrera played the second 45, faced two shots on goal, and saved one of them. The Tigers outshot the Thunder 20 to 8 and in shots on goal, they had a 13 to 2 advantage.

Assistant Coach, Matt Malone, who was filling in again for head coach Aaron Hoxie, commented on the win saying, "Today was a good opportunity for the guys to sort out how we need to play in order to be successful. But MCC deserves credit for a great job of pressing and testing us for 90 minutes. Once we were able to relax on the ball, I was impressed with our ability to dominate play and finish opportunities."

Coach Hoxie added, "I totally missed the high line in the scouting report so we didn't train for it yesterday. It showed on the field because we were offside about 14 times. I think our decision making in the critical moments lacked because of this. Still, when we did break the line, we can't give away the 5 or 6 1v1's we missed. Just no excuse for that. The boys understand that those chances will be punished when we get to the next level. That being said, I was happy with the defending after the first 5 minutes, and our attitudes got better as the game progressed. It's obvious that we are young and trying to get to know each other still. Everyday we are improving."

On Tuesday next week, the Tigers will take the pitch again, back on the road, this time against the Bethel College Threshers. Game time is slated for 8:00 pm in North Newton.