WINFIELD—In a wet and wild finish at Jantz Stadium, the McPherson High School boys soccer team survived a defensive matchup against Winfield High School on Tuesday evening, giving the Bullpups the 3-1 victory.

The game was moved from 6:30 to 5 p.m. due to the heavy rain forecast. According to head coach Chris Adrian, Winfield was prepared on defense, having the Bullpups struggle in the first half. Winfield was on the board early after McPherson scored on their own goal due to an error on the back pass to goalkeeper Nathan Lloyd.

"Winfield came in with a defensive game plan and did a great job of staying compact and strong on defense. They gave us a problem and we struggled to solve it in the first half," Adrian said. "We actually found ourselves down an own goal when an errant back pass to Nathan Lloyd put one of their players in on a breakaway."

Late in the first half, the Bullpups were able to rally back and git into a rhythm. The match was ties led by Trenton Stecklein's goal. McPherson went into halftime with momentum on their side.

"Equalizing before half time was huge for us and it came from an unlikely source. Trenton Stecklein found a lose ball in the box after a corner kick and smashed it in," Adrian said. "It’s the type of goal we have struggled at finishing this year but have been practicing a lot lately so it was good to see Trenton anticipate and put it in the net."

The second half was all Bullpups. Jael Jaimie gave McPherson their first lead of the night after a corner kick to make it 2-1. Their final goal was due to strong ball movement from Britton Haigh's assist to Drew Schrader. McPherson recorded 10 shots on goal against Winfield, and Lloyd received one save.

"Our second goal was similar and came off another corner kick which Jael Jaime finished off. Our final goal displayed the quality this team possesses," Adrian said. "After some excellent passing, Austin Monroe crossed a ball in which Britton Haigh calmly brought down, and played to Drew for a nice one-touch finish. There were plenty of other chances in the second half to score but Winfield’s goalie made several big saves to keep the game close."

McPherson, now 8-4 of the year, has three more matches left this season will have their road game on Thursday when they take on Hutchinson High School at the Hutchinson Soccer complex. After that, McPherson will return home for their final two games to take on Augusta High School on Tuesday and Great Bend High School on Thursday.

Contact Peter Holland Jr. by email at or follow him on Twitter @Petes_Picks_orour sports page @MacCountySports